Rep. Ashford Announces State Funds For Job Training, Air National Guard Operations In Northwest Ohio
Intensive training programs to prepare workers for careers in advanced manufacturing
August 31, 2015
[ Michael Ashford Home | Michael Ashford Press ]

State Rep. Michael Ashford (D-Toledo) today announced over $1 million in state funds to purchase equipment for a new job training center at the University of Toledo (UT). The space will use existing campus facilities to house the Northwest Ohio Plastics Training Center, which will provide hands-on training and educational opportunities to workers pursuing careers in advanced manufacturing.

“High demand industries like advanced manufacturing require not only hard work, but a great deal of professional expertise to get the job done,” said Ashford. “This new training center will allow workers to learn the trade and equip themselves with the skills needed to land a quality job in a competitive and fast-paced industry.”

Funds will be used to outfit existing building space at UT with industry-standard equipment, training materials and basic facility upgrades to provide students with an immersive learning experience. When complete, the Northwest Ohio Plastics Training Center will provide fast-track certificates allowing workers to complete intensive training programs in 16 to 24 weeks. Credit attained from certificate courses can then be applied toward an Associate or Bachelor Degree.

The Ohio Workforce Development and Advanced Manufacturing Training Center is a collaborative effort between the University of Toledo, Northwest State Community College and Terra State Community College to connect area workers with the skills and qualifications needed to begin careers in advanced manufacturing.

Rep. Ashford also announced $384,000 in state funding for the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority during the next two years for the Ohio Air National Guard’s continued use of the Toledo Express Airport.

“This continued partnership allows the Air National Guard to fulfill its mission and work to keep our state and her citizens safe,” Ashford said.

Federal funds cover 80 percent of the agreement while state funds cover the remaining 20 percent.  

Featured Posts

Ashford's Bipartisan Predatory Lending Reform Bill To Become Law


State Rep. Michael Ashford (D-Toledo), a joint sponsor of House Bill 123, today issued the following statement in response to Gov. Kasich’s signing of the bill to crack down on predatory short-term lenders in Ohio:


Crucial Consumer Protections Headed To Governor's Desk


House Democrats today applauded the passage of House Bill (HB) 123, a bipartisan effort to enact consumer protections for the thousands of Ohioans who utilize short-term loans every day. Borrowers in Ohio currently pay some of the highest rates in the nation for payday loans, with estimated average interest rates at over 500 percent.